Firmware / Devices Manager
Angaza creates technology for selling life-changing products in underserved markets.
Every day, families in more than thirty other countries, from Kenya to Nigeria to India, use technology developed by Angaza to buy solar home systems with "pay-as-you-go" (PAYG) financing. These off-grid products were designed and manufactured by an Angaza partner such as Greenlight Planet or Fosera, with Angaza collaborating to integrate PAYG functionality into the product firmware, electronics, and overall design.
After the sale, a local distributor uses Angaza software to manage that family's affordable payment plan. Each installment payment is processed by Angaza backend software, reactivating the solar home system by communicating with the Angaza firmware that it embeds.
Intelligent devices make this story possible. Angaza develops the firmware and circuits behind PAYG intelligence, with a focus on communication technologies ranging from secure keycodes to GSM. We work with product partners to integrate our PAYG solutions into their device hardware, and we support their distribution customers with effective software tools for selling those connected products.
Lead product development for Angaza's off-grid hardware partnerships.
This broad startup role involves four primary activities:
- Team management: ensure that each engineer on your team has the support, development, and opportunities they need to succeed every day and to grow over time.
- Product management: lead the design and direction of new Angaza embedded solutions, and influence key decisions about the behavior of PAYG features in partner products.
- Project management: set and satisfy internal and external expectations about functionality, reliability, and scheduled delivery.
- Engineering management: evolve team and partner processes for R&D, and add your own technical contributions, to create great off-grid PAYG products.
You don't need deep experience in all of these areas, but you do need it in some of them, and you should be eager for a role that encompasses them all.
Engineering work on this team includes electronics, firmware, and other software, but this leadership role is best suited to someone with past firmware development experience specifically.
Should You Reach Out?
To help you decide whether to reach out, here are some of the criteria we have in mind:
- You have 8+ years overall professional experience, including 2+ years hands-on firmware development experience and 1+ year(s) in some type of leadership role.
- You think through how a product works for its end users, and you care about getting those product decisions right, even if you have not previously held product management responsibility.
- You approach engineering and product choices in a structured way, weighing tradeoffs rather than jumping straight to the one that feels right.
- You are eager to work directly with customers and partners. In general, you communicate well in writing and in person.
- You appreciate the craft in your work, and you value its impact even more.
Angaza is a for-profit company with offices in San Francisco and Nairobi. This position is full-time and on-site in our San Francisco office.
Our hardware / firmware team includes three engineers, and our broader Angaza technical team is twelve people. We've worked at places like Canonical, Microsoft, Yahoo, IBM, and Kiva. It's an experienced group that supports each other in building a better product. We strive to be thoughtful, pragmatic, and collaborative.
Our hiring process typically involves a phone conversation, a small and well-defined project, and an on-site interview. We don't believe in gotcha logic puzzles or adversarial whiteboard exercises, and we give you specific constructive feedback wherever possible.
Employees receive benefits, salary, and an equity stake in Angaza.
The Next Step
Send us your contact details and résumé. Feel free to attach any extra information you think we should know. We look at every single person. We'll get back to you shortly.