Backend / Full-Stack Engineer
Angaza creates software for selling life-changing products in underserved markets.
When a family in Tanzania (or Kenya, or Nigeria, or India…) pays a weekly installment on their new home solar installation, their payment is processed by Angaza backend software. When they have a question about their account, a call center finds the answer using an Angaza web application.
Their lives were changed when they could turn on electricity for the first time, and the business that made it possible used Angaza software to do so: to register their purchase, to set up their installation, and to stay in touch while they start to benefit from it.
Plenty of other "B2B SaaS" companies build software designed for mature industries and well-served markets. Angaza instead designs technology that works better for people and places that are often the edge cases for other software companies. They are, however, our core users, and we believe they'll use our software to dramatically improve the daily lives of hundreds of millions of people over the next decade.
Angazans have a wide range of backgrounds and stories. If you're excited by what we do, you should reach out. To help you decide whether this role is right for you, though, we'll list some target attributes:
- You've worked as a professional software engineer for at least a year, or you have a recent four-year CS degree.
- Your experience may be backend-focused, but you're eager to tackle frontend work as the need arises.
- You care about a clear and well-maintained internal implementation almost as much as you care about delivering great features to end users.
- You tend to think through and communicate the tradeoffs of different implementations, rather than jumping straight to the one that feels right.
- You appreciate the craft in your work, and you value its impact even more.
This position is full-time and on-site in our San Francisco office.
Send us your contact details and résumé. Feel free to attach any extra information you think we should know. We look at every single person. We'll get back to you shortly.
Angaza is a for-profit company with offices in San Francisco and Nairobi.
Our technical team is about a dozen people. We've worked at places like Canonical, Microsoft, Yahoo, and Kiva. It's an experienced group that supports each other in building a better product. We strive to be thoughtful, pragmatic, and collaborative.
Our hiring process typically involves a phone conversation, a small and well-defined home project, and an on-site interview. We don't believe in gotcha logic puzzles or adversarial whiteboard exercises, and we give you specific constructive feedback wherever possible.
Employees receive benefits, salary, and an equity stake in Angaza.